Thanks for emailing that article!
Job Title: Development Assistant (full-time)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Founded in 1978 and headquartered in San Francisco, Glaucoma Research Foundation is America’s oldest and most experienced nonprofit dedicated solely to its mission: to prevent vision loss from glaucoma by investing in innovative research, education and support with the ultimate goal of finding a cure. More information is available at www.glaucoma.org.
Summary: Under the direction of the Executive Director of Development the Development Assistant is responsible for all administrative aspects of development, events, operations, and communications at Glaucoma Research Foundation (GRF).
The Development Assistant plays an important role by being the first point of contact for phone calls and office visits as well as providing administrative support to all staff, and working closely with office volunteers to execute mailings, data entry and other tasks.
The incumbent will interact with all GRF stakeholders including donors, volunteers, Board members and the general public and will be responsible for independent problem-solving, high quality service, utmost courtesy and confidentiality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare donations including tally of checks and preparation of daily deposit
- Generate, edit, personalize and print daily donor acknowledgment letters
- Prepare and edit other correspondence as needed
- Scan and file designated donor acknowledgment letters regularly to ensure electronic access to documents
- Prepare donor thank you call/letter forms for staff
- Assist with mailings including printing, assembly, and postage
- Prepare fundraising materials for donor meetings including information packets, briefing documents and other materials
- Assist with prospect identification and research
- Assist with gift processing and deposits when needed
- Provide direct support for event staff including assisting with mailings, RSVP management, nametag preparation, printing of event materials
- Assist with event tasks including pre-event phone calls, generation of thank you letters, database coding of attendees and speakers
- Assist Assistant Director of Events and Volunteers with onsite event management
- Assist with exhibit materials and shipping for ophthalmology meetings (AAO, AGS)
- Assist with Board meetings including printing of packets, place cards, and ordering refreshments
- Specific duties during Glaucoma 360 will include assisting with registration, Gala Table host follow-up, onsite volunteer coordination, auction support including researching new donors and follow-up tasks
3. Office Administration
- Answer phones promptly and transfer as necessary; answer general questions using the GRF website for reference
- Sort and distribute daily mail
- Maintain inventory of office supplies, assessing other staff and event needs, place orders as necessary
- Database management including creating and updating constituency records, and other data entry
- Train and supervise office volunteers, prepare weekly projects
- Maintenance of all donor, CEO and Board files (including electronic and physical files)
- Compile and complete expense reports
- Process shipments via FedEx, UPS, USPS, as required
- Assist Development Coordinator with Board activities including updating public Board folder, archiving past meeting materials
- Maintenance of comprehensive handbook outlining key office administrative duties
- Place service calls when needed for shredding, building maintenance, etc.
- Tidy public office areas including the kitchen at the end of the day and prepare coffee for the following morning
4. Communications and Education
- Fulfill incoming bulk and individual literature requests made via phone or email; coordinate bulk orders with off-site storage facility
- Print and review info request emails, answer promptly and forward accordingly
- Maintain inventory of in-house and off-site literature including planning for upcoming mailings and events; provide Accountant with quarterly inventory reports
- Research and maintain list of nationwide support group networks
- Work with Director of Communications and EDD on updating fact sheets and other education packet information as needed
- Assist with social media postings for GRF including Facebook and Twitter
- Monitor daily feeds
- Reply to posts when necessary
- Remove inappropriate posts
- Work with key staff with posting new relevant posts including links to the GRF website
- Tally phone calls to measure the main areas of interest for callers and prepare monthly reports for Director of Communications
5. Executive Support for President and CEO
- Screen calls as appropriate
- Assist with travel arrangements
- Assemble information kits as needed
- Other administrative support as assigned
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree with at least one years’ relevant experience. Experience in a development office preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word. Excel and Powerpoint. Database experience such as Raiser’s Edge is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Must have ease in answering questions from co-workers, patients, volunteers, donors and prospective donors. Ability to work well with a broad range of stakeholders. Demonstrated writing and proofreading skills including an excellent understanding of grammar and syntax, to write clear and concise correspondence.
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in the face of shifting demands of a busy work environment.
- Ability to work independently and proactively by suggesting new projects and tasks to advance GRF’s mission.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must demonstrate a high level of accuracy, personalization and attention to detail.
- Resourcefulness in independently finding appropriate solutions to issues and problems and use of initiative in implementing solutions or making recommendations. Ability to anticipate problems and take necessary actions to mitigate potential issues.
- Ability to foster a collegial, mutually supportive work environment.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule when needed including some evenings and weekends.
Please email resume, cover letter with salary requirements to Catalina San Agustin, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Glaucoma Research Foundation - Posted August 20, 2015